Jared Karol is the founder of a consulting firm specializing in guiding White people to confront racism. As a trusted advisor, he guides executives, people managers, and dedicated change agents at Fortune 500 companies, startups, and nonprofits through his work at JaredKarol.com. Jared is a sought-after professional speaker, panel moderator, leadership coach, and facilitator of difficult conversations. Jared's storytelling approach inspires and influences individuals and groups worldwide. An avid reader, accomplished musician, and active meditator, he lives with his family in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Listen & Subscribe on:
Most Influential Person
- Karen van Dyne, Meditation Teacher
Effect on Emotions
- Mindfulness has helped me be less volatile and to be able to sit with discomfort whether it's with my family or kids or doing this work. Mindfulness has helped me with impermanence, knowing that it's always going to pass and so how do we get through those moments of discomfort with equanimity and composure and integrity.
Thoughts on Breathing
- I breathe every morning. In fact, I took time this morning, an hour before we recorded this. Breathing is central. I always remind myself if I'm in a tense situation or if I'm anxious to speak or facilitate a group of less than welcoming people, then I breathe.
- It always brings me back to centering where I can do my best work.
- Book: A White Guy Confronting Racism: An Invitation to Reflect and Act
- Book: I'll Meet You There: A Practical Guide to Empathy, Mindfulness and Communication by Shantigarbha
- Book: The Inner Work of Racial Justice by Rhonda V Magee
- Book: Mindful of Race: Transforming Racism from the Inside Out by Ruth King
- Book: The Way Of Tenderness by Zenju Earthlyn Manuel
- Book: Anything by Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh
- Resource: Tricycle, the Buddhist Review
- App: N/A
- My discomfort and the fact that I get criticized and attacked and that people question my motives, my character, my ability; all that I have to absorb. It doesn't mean it doesn't hurt or that I don't have feelings or that I don't get triggered. All of that happens, but because of mindfulness we absorb that, we sit with it so that we can respond instead of react.
- I will say to people, that is nothing, anything that I will receive is nothing compared to what black people and other people of color, experience every day of their lives.
- Thrive By Keeping Your Promises
|Are you experiencing anxiety & stress? Peace is within your grasp. I’m Bruce Langford, a practicing coach helping fast-track people just like you to shed their inner bully and move forward with confidence. Book a Free Coaching Session to get you on the road to a more satisfying life, feeling grounded and focused. Send me an email at email@example.com with ‘Coaching Session' in the subject line. We'll set up a zoom call and talk about how you can move forward to a better life.|