Listen & Subscribe on:
- Website: www.Fortlog.co
Most Influential Person
- My wife
Effect on Emotions
- When it comes to dealing with people in crisis, it's pretty simple for me to come in as some distant professional, and sometimes that means to show no emotion.
- My journey has taught me that sometimes that's the worst thing to show as a professional. Sometimes things just stink and there's nothing we can do. I still remember doing a death notification of a woman, her son was in college, an only child and her husband had died in the country that she had come from.
- She was telling me about her son. All I could think of was, this poor woman. And I can remember tearing up and part of my journey is, big boys don't cry. My heart really ached for her. It allowed me to be with her. And it was a newspaper article, a couple of weeks later, that I cut out and gave to my wife because in the newspaper there was a thank you and it was written on the worst day of my life. I spent the early morning hours with an angel.
- My wife didn't believe it was me at first, but when I connected who that person was with her on the worst day of her life. What did I learn about mindfulness and about being present, about not being cognitive but not being a jellyfish just to own what I'm really experiencing and then addressing my mindset to say, I can't fix this, so I am going to be with her and just hear her stories.
- This is where mindfulness can be a very subjective definition. For me, mindfulness allows me to be present in that moment with that mindset that says, what is the best thing that I can do right now to help.
Thoughts on Breathing
- Here's where my dark humour gets me into problems. Do not start smoking. However, I teach deep breathing from the smoking perspective because smokers do three things that we have to learn: 1. they take a break, 2. they are outside with social support, and 3. they're doing deep breathing exercises.
- A smoker who might be really stressed as they are exhaling will blow rings. That even slows the exhale down more. The smoke break principle is the triangle model: inhale for 5, hold for 5, exhale for 5.
- Book: n/a
- App: www.MindfulnessMode.com
- I sucked my thumb till I was seventeen. I quit during the summer when I was a junior forest ranger up in northern Ontario. I was bullied for sucking my thumb to the point where the school would call my parents and say that if I didn't stop sucking my thumb, I would be bullied more.
- Having sucked my thumb for that long, I believe that it prepared me to deal with opposition in a way that doesn't always beat me down.
- Finding Bliss In Times Of Crisis; Moneeka Sawyer
- 444 Live The Life You Love With Victim To Victor Author, Nick Santonastasso
- 225 A Place Called Earth Founder, Cameron Brown
|Use hypnosis to help others stop struggling with their deep rooted issues like weight loss, smoking, painful experiences. Are you a coach or a healer who would love to have new skills to help your clients? Hypnosis can help people reach goals faster and easier than you thought possible. Become a hypnotherapist. The Cascade Hypnosis Center offers world-class training. www.CascadeHypnosisCenter.com|
|Become more calm, focused, and happy by reading the top 12 books recommended on the Mindfulness Mode Podcast. This 14-page ebook entitled '12 Must-Read Mindfulness Books' outlines each of the top books recommended by guests on the show. Get your digital copy now at MindfulnessMode.com/top12books|