Dr. Hassan Tetteh is a surgeon specializing in heart/lung transplants and is also the author of 5 books, his current publication entitled “The Art of Human Care”. This beautiful book answers the question, how can we change the world throughhealing. Illustrations by his daughter and Dr. Tetteh's personal life-altering, near-death story explain how his life journey profoundly affected his approach to health care and ultimately led to The Art of Human Care theory. Currently, Dr. Tetteh is a Thoracic Staff Surgeon for MedStar Health and WRNMMC and most recently served as Command Surgeon for the National Defense University. During the interview, Dr. Tetteh explains how his experiences helped him embrace the mind-body-spirit connection.
Listen & Subscribe on:
Most Influential Person
- Victor Frankl, Author of Man's Search For Meaning
Effect on Emotions
- I have been uncharacteristically called an atypical cardiac surgeon. In the operating room, everyone always says, how come he's so calm.
- That calmness is because of mindfulness. Just taking time, having peace and presence of mind. That's how mindfulness has impacted me. It's given me a great amount of equanimity at times of duress.
Thoughts on Breathing
- Mindfulness is very central and it's foundational to keeping myself centered and I also believe it helps to regulate my heart rate.
- I wear a sensor watch so I'm always proud of myself when my resting heart-rate is in the 40's. Sometimes I can get it down to 41 or 42.
- I'm also a runner so I should qualify that. I don't take any beta blockers. It's my way of saying to myself, I'm doing well.
- Book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Book: The Art of Human Care by Dr. Hassan Tetteh
- App: Any timer app.
- I got my son to learn how to meditate at a young age so he could use mindfulness in his life.
- He embraced mindfulness and found a lot of value from it. I remind him now that he's in the stress of high school with a rigorous curriculum that he should use it as a way to bring himself back to present. It will give him the calm and the space to look at the world and understand how you fit into life holistically.
- Mindfulness gives me the opportunity to have gratitude and that has been very helpful.
- 116 Be A Go-Giver and Recognize Ego, Speaker Bob Burg
- 329 The Body Whisperer Will Give You Your Body Back; Erin Burch
- Define Your Values For Conscious Success; Dr. John Demartini
Become more calm, focused, and happy by reading the top 12 books recommended on the Mindfulness Mode Podcast. This 14-page ebook entitled '12 Must-Read Mindfulness Books' outlines each of the top books recommended by guests. Get your digital copy now at MindfulnessMode.com/top12books
Note: The following transcript is a draft transcript, and as such, may contain computer-generated mistranslations. (Transcript coming soon).