Brian King is a resilience coach who has a fascinating story which reveals why his coaching is so effective. He is a 26 year cancer survivor, father of 3 boys and he teaches parents with special needs children, how to cope and connect. In fact, Brian’s own boys have Asperger's, which is a form of Autism. Brian is a podcaster, host of ‘The Heart of the Matter – a show focused on helping Entrepreneurs become more resilient and better leaders. Mindfulness has been a big part of Brian's life for over 20 years.
Most Influential Person
- Richard Langlois, Roshi (The Abbot of the Zen Buddhist Temple of Chicago)
Effect on Emotions
- Allowed my to experience my emotions more deeply. I used to be afraid of being overwhelmed by my emotions, but now I realize I can watch them without righting them.
Thoughts on Breathing
- I make a point of being mindful of my breath all day long. I breath deeply as much as I can. Because of my restlessness and racing mind, I keep my mind on my breath so I do not get caught up in all that noise.
- Book: Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Nhat Hanh
- App: Calendar App (All of my tasks and appointment have alarms – because my phone reminds me, it makes it easier for me to stay present)
Advice for Newbie
Perfection is not the goal. The whole point is just to practice. Be present when your mind drifts off on something else; acknowledge it, and bring it back to the moment. If you get distracted a hundred times a day, acknowledge it and bring it back a hundred times a day. It's not about perfect, it's about practice.